Steps to Attach & Detach Database
Steps to Attach & Detach Database:
How to Attach & Detach .mdf and .ldf files:
Follow the steps mentioned below:
- Open Sqlserver Management Studio and select the database from the databases tree view and right click on the selected database which you want to Detach.
- Select All tasks > Detach Database from the drop down menu options
- Following Dialog box will appear.
- Now click on OK .The database successfully is detached, Once the database is detached, that database name will not be shown under databases tree view
- Note: Attach &Detach Operations can be done when the Database is not in use.when it is in usage then it will not allow to proceed and the following error message will appear
- Now copy the .mdf and .ldf files of the database from the location (example: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data) as shown in the following diagram
- Paste the copied files (mdf & ldf) into the new location or new disk.
- Right click on Databases and select option All Tasks > Attach Database from Drop down
- The following dialog box will appear prompting for MDF file location
- Click on add and select mdf and ldf files which were stored.
- Select the Data based and On Clicking ‘OK’, the data base will be attached